Training camp report for January 25, 2005
Floyd Landis training camp
Riding with Floyd in SoCal
By Mitch Friedman
Phonak's new recruit Floyd Landis put on his first camp this month with 20 riders signing up to ride with him and get tips on how he goes about his training, and to learn about the equipment he uses. The camp is being held between January 21-28 in Temecula in the Southern California wine region in the USA.
After a quick lessson on how to use the PowerTap, followed by a group photo, it was time to hit the road for a day of riding. Floyd, the 20 riders plus staff were joined by Pro GP Motocross star Ryan "Ryno" Hughes who lives near Floyd and rides with him as much as he can.With the rain of the previous weeks backing off, it was a beautiful day for the 55 mile ride through the flat and rolling terrain of the Californian vinyards.
After the ride I asked Floyd about how this all came about. Mainly, he said, the purpose of the camp is for him to ride in the sun and have a group of riders to ride with, as well as having people learning about the CycleOps PowerTap. After his Phonak camps in Europe, Floyd has time to relax a little and help other riders learn. He is definitely keen on doing it again, and said that perhaps next year, he might ask Phonak to have a camp for their rides here as well.
The Floyd Landis training camp was sponsored by CycleOps, Speedplay, Zipp, BMC, Clif Bar, Specialized, Endurox/Accelerade, Giordana, and the Trek store San Diego, as well as the Temecula Creek Inn playing host hotel.
See an interview with Floyd from the camp.
For a thumbnail gallery of these images, click here
Images by Jonathan Decich/www.epicimages.us
- Camper’s bikes were set up with the newest Powertap SL to show them exactly what they were achieving or could work on throughout the week.
- Dr. Allen Lim explains to attendees how power output relates to race or riding situations and how to understand Powertap readings
- With Floyd Landis leading the ride and excited campers in tow today’s ride begins.
- Landis kept it steady at the front to get everyone warmed up
- The road begins to go up, through the wide-open California countryside.
- Back from his new team Phonak’s training camp in Spain less than one week ago Landis was looking fit as usual.
- The group takes advantage of the sunny skies and smooth roads
- Carrying on through the day riders get a little spread out.
- Landis strings out the group on a long gradual climb. Data was collected with the Powertaps on such climbs to see where improvements could be made.
- Floyd Landis enjoys the California sun before heading off to a long European campaign, still confident his team will make it to the Tour.
- David Cathcart of Saris, sponsor of the training camp, took time to get out on the road with attendees, whilst testing out a BMC
- The group finishes up with a winding route through the lush Cali greenery.
- Landis leads the group on a decent back into town with the southern California sprawl in the background.
Images by Mitch Friedman/Cyclingnews.com
- The group on day one
- Floyd arrives
- All the riders
- Ryan 'Ryno' Hughes a pro Motocross racer and GP rider with his pal Floyd
- Some of the Flats on the day
- Floyd waits
- Photo time Rob of Speed Play takes Floyds photo on the fly
- Floyd's BMC bike
- Floyd with Eva
- Floyd talks with Saris Marketing Director David Cathcart, Ryno and the Doc about the route to take
- A camper rides with Floyd
- Out of the saddle
- Back of the BMC that Floyd rides
- Some of the campers bikes after the ride
- Some of the flats that happened on the ride. Time to fix them all
- BMC had a few bike on hand
- Start of the ride
- BMC/QBP Rep Scott Thomson having fun
- Early on in the ride from the support car
- David Cathcart of Saris
- Ryno goes for the draft and the grab for the support car
- The pack
- Time to eat
- Lets go up