News for October 16, 1997

Transfers and Contracts

- Miquel van Kessel signed for two years with TVM, Radio West announced on Tuesday night.He is staigiair at this moment after being an amateur with Giant.

Following Alex Zulle, Wladimir Belli will join the Festina team. Festina manager, Bruno Roussel is also close to making a deal with the Swiss rider Armin Meier.

- John Talen signed for two years with amateur team Piels-Timmers. He comes from the Foreldorado-Golff team which will not continue.

- According to Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, Danish rider Jesper Skibby leaves TVM after 8 years (1 year before contract expires). He will end his professional career riding for the new Danish team, Team Home Jack & Jones. This will be announced at a press meeting later today (at 1200h Danish time) in Denmark. (Thanks to Lars Thrane for the Danish news. He regularly sends me little bits from Denmark).

UCI wants to go to court against l'Equipe

The UCI will sue French sport's newspaper, l'Equipe if they do not apologise for an article in which l'Equipe wrote that UCI covered up on two drug cases involving two riders who played big parts in the Tour de France 1996 and 1997.

L'Equipe didn't published any names but it has been revealed by the UCI Chairman Hein Verbruggen that l'Equipe means Ullrich and Riis. Verbruggen: "We have enough proof that l'Equipe is lying."

Heist-Goor, Belgium, October 14, 1997

This was the last race for Elites without contract and was won by Geert Verdeyen

Belgian Kermesse Season Records

 1 Benjamin Van Itterbeek 47 victories
 2 Ludo Giesberts 	  46

Stars and Stripes Cycling Challenge

San Antonio, TX (October 11-12, 1997) -- On a ten mile course, with twenty turns on each lap, Mark McCormack attacked with two riders after just five miles of the fifty mile race. The trio gained three minutes over the field with two laps remaining. With fifteen miles left in the race, McCormack attacked again with neither of his companions able to follow. He soloed in for the victory after having gained three minutes ahead of second and third place. Saturn's Brian Walton, was forced to abandon with just over ten miles remaining due to a mechanical problem.

On Saturday evening, Brian and Mark as well as the race organizers, sponsors and cyclists from local area, were hosted to a dinner at Saturn of San Antonio. On Sunday morning the riders signed autographs and answer many question from cyclists and fans. After the event, Mark presented his winner's trophy to the General Manager of Saturn of San Antonio's for him to display in his store as well as a nights stay at a local Ranch that Mark had won during the race to offer to his employees. The local Airforce presented both Brian and Mark with two different jackets each as a show of their appreciation.