Cyclingnews - the world centre of cycling Cyclingnews TV   News  Tech   Features   Road   MTB   BMX   Cyclo-cross   Track    Photos    Fitness    Letters   Search   Forum  

Recent News

January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008

2007 & earlier

Recently on Cyclingnews.com


Bayern Rundfahrt
Photo ©: Schaaf

News for July 21, 2002

Edited by Jeff Jones

GP Zurich boycott

All the important teams in the Tour de France have decided to boycott the GP Zurich World Cup on August 18, because the prize money from 2001 hasn't been paid yet. The teams gave the organisers of the GP Zurich until July 15 to pay up, but they had not done anything by that date.

Lampre-Daikin to set up centre in Salice Terme

The Lampre Daikin team will create a team base in Salice Terme in the province of Pavia. Team manager Beppe Saronni says that the area has an emotional significance for him, as he started there as a young professional. "I've found there now the correct environment and the right tranquility to prepare oneself," he said.

Fausto Coppi also spent some time training in Salice Terme, as well as the Italian national team in recent years. Lampre's Marco Pinotti, who fell and abandoned the Tour de France, will spend time there in convalescence.

O'Bee plans to continue racing

The recently suspended USPRO Criterium champion Kirk O'Bee (Navigators) intends to continue racing once his one year ban for a high testosterone-epitestosterone level has finished. The ban was imposed by the US Anti-Doping Association starting July 15, 2002, as a result of a drug test taken at the USPRO Road Championships in July, 2001.

O'Bee accepted the ban, issuing a press release to point out that he did not test positive for "any particular substance of any nature. Mr O'Bee believes that the elevated T/E ratio test could have been caused by a supervised exercise and dietary regimen or a physiological anomaly."

He now intends to undergo endocrinological examinations to determine if there is a natural cause for an elevated T/E ratio. He will submit these to USADA "for review and reconsideration of his one-year suspension."

In the meantime, he will continue to train and has every intention of starting to race again in July 2003.

Former Olympian makes podium comeback

By Haroldo Camacho

Former USA Olympian David Brinton made a comeback to racing with a bronze podium finish at the US Masters' National Championships last Sunday July 14, in Bakersfield, California. Brinton placed third in the final sprint for the 35-39 age category national crit championship.

Brinton was a member of the 1988 Olympic cycling team. After competing in six world championships, Brinton retired from active racing in 1991 and dedicated himself to building successful careers in both coaching cyclists and as a Hollywood stunt man in Southern California.

Between 1991 and 2000 Brinton logged less than 1,000 miles. However in March 2001 he decided to come back to the racing scene. Brinton explains that he wanted to become more of an "on the bike coach" in order to challenge and motivate his riders even higher. Since then his training partners and group ride friends have been inspired by his aggressive attacks on the hills, superior bike handling skills, and taking long pulls out in front which turn an otherwise manageable peloton into a long strung out line of cyclists suffering to stay in touch with the wheel ahead.

At the crit championship race in Bakersfield, California, pavement temperature was 140F, air temp was 117F, but the average speed for the 50K crit was a high 30 mph along a 6 turn, 0.8 mile course. Brinton had high praise for John Wordin, the manager of Mercury Cycling team, who chased down a 13 second break with 7 laps to go, and then led Brinton out for the entire last lap.

The final sprint was won by Bill Harris (35-39 National champion), Joe Davis took the silver medal, and Brinton took the bronze for third.

Tasmanian Carnivals Series receives four-year boost

By Rod Morris

The popular Tasmanian Christmas Carnivals series received a four-year commitment from the State Labor Government with an injection of $AU100,000 in cash. Tasmanian Premier Mr Jim Bacon made the announcement in Devonport, home of some of the Carnivals.

The $100,000 and four-year package is a welcome relief for the Sports Carnivals Association of Tasmania, which has operated on a year-by-year basis with Government support for many years. This season's carnivals will include events at Latrobe (December 26), Launceston (December 28), Devonport (December 29-30) and Burnie (January 1).

"The Tasmanian Christmas Carnivals are a Tasmanian institution - and a wonderful celebration of our sporting culture," Mr Bacon said. "And with the two new Bass Strait ferries bringing thousands of additional visitors to Tasmania, the Carnival series is set to become a real tourism drawcard for the region."

SCAT Chairman Mr Grant Atkins said the announcement gave SCAT and its four affiliate clubs, additional security and extra confidence in the long term future of the carnivals. "We have implemented a number of professional changes in the last two seasons, particularly with the development of a five-year strategic plan," Mr Atkins said. "Mr Bacon's confidence in supporting the carnivals, will add extra confidence to our extremely committed band of carnival volunteers."

Mr Bacon said the $25,000 per annum would be directed towards marketing the carnival series and assisting to attract interstate and interstate competitors and visiting spectators. Cradle Coast Authority assists SCAT closely with its marketing and newly appointed Regional Tourism Manager Mr Ian Waller said, "The Carnivals are an integral part of the North-West Coast and Launceston region around Christmas time."

"We see our part in the Carnivals as helping to attract competitors and spectators and to add a professional approach to the marketing of the series."

Two cyclotourists killed in Boismé

Two cyclotourists have died after being hit by a car in Boismé (Deux-Sèvres), while participating in a randonnée. Six people were injured in the accident, including the driver of the car, who was seriously hurt. They were taken to hospitals in Bressuire and Poitiers.

(All rights reserved/Copyright Knapp Communications Pty Limited 2002)